Tuesday, September 05, 2006

 

The busses don´t have shocks

Dearest Familia,Im so excited to find out what will happen with the stake. My companion asked, "your stake has grown to be three, in one year!?! Wow, your mission really has blessed your town!" I explained to her that the growth has occured over many years and that it is gracias a many missionaires that have served;) Labor day, wow, thats right, we´re in September. The big day here in Argentina is 21 of September, the first day of spring. There´s no school and everyone BBQs-it should be fun!

The other day Elder Ferguson from San Jose(whom looks so much like Matt, that I call him "hermanito") asked me how old I was. I said I would be 23 next month. His eyes got big and so did mine. When he told me that he graduated high school this last year, I just changed the subject. My clothes feeling a bit frumpier and my hair seeming to need chemical treatment even more, the conversation caused me to reflect a bit on the last 14 months but also, note some of the things I love about this country.

Recently, my companion and I have seen a number of plastic bottles filled with water, on the front lawns and in the plants of the neighborhoods. Having a lot of thirst, we thought, maybe we could borrow one and then return it. We remembered the church film "La Bomba" (The Pump) and decided we shouldn´t drink the water. AFter a few weeks and a number of bottle sightings, curiousity took over and we asked Hermano Arenas, "why do so many houses have bottles of water in the front yards? Are they for weary travelers passing by or thirsty sister missionaires?" He laughed and shook his head in embarassment. "There´s an old wive´s tale," he explained," that if you put a bottle of water under a plant or on your lawn, that dogs wont´ go the bathroom on it."Moral: If your filling Argentine, put bottles of water on the lawn, and you wont´ever have to pick up after a dog:)

I bought a plastic "winnie the pooh" watch some time ago. My other finally gave up. The wal mart isnt yet open and I dont have the energy to find out where to go to buy a new battery. All the little girls love this watch, because, why not, its winnie the pooh! So, after our meal appointment the other day I was startled at the response of Eileen Molina, age 4. She is the oldest of three brothers and is quite the menace. She said, "ooh, I like your watch," and proceeded to try and take it off my wrist. Her parents told her to stop, but she insisted and did everything to take it off. I told my companion, "quick, lets get out of here, the family molina is trying to rob us!" They laughed and just said, "welcome to Argentina, Hermana Casady."

Well once again, I hope this letter makes some sense. I try to give a variety and a glimpse of what happens every day. I am enjoying learning how to pray more specfically, study more thoroughly and work with more heart. My companion says she´s tired every day. I told her thats good. We are looking for those families whom are ready, and praying to know where to find them. I enjoyed the book of Galations and Ephesians the other day and invite you all to read them. The spirit is real. The church is true. And San luis is the bomb dot com! Okay, now Im talking english like some one from utah.

¡Cariños!Catherine

dead dogs:17
dead dog tail:1

Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?